This Page

has been moved to new address

Rustic Headboard

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Too Much time on my hands: Rustic Headboard

This Page

has been moved to new address

Rustic Headboard

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Too Much time on my hands: Rustic Headboard

Wednesday, April 13

Rustic Headboard

  I LOVE THIS


I was going back and forth...all over the map on what I wanted to do for a headboard in my son's vintage airplane themed bedroom. The problem is there are so many cool and exciting options floating around the web!

However, when I found an abundant supply of free wooden pallets on Crigslist last weekend, and my brother-in-law ran right over to grab them for me, I knew it was meant to be! I found this in my back yard.



Shabby for sure. I chose the one in better condition, put on some gloves (splinter city) and started sanding....and sanding....and sanding. I got three splinters, and I sanded some more, we do not need little splinters in chubby little hands and toes.



 My husband said, "you know he is going to use it as a ladder and do dive bombs onto the bed, right?' Well, he climbs on every other thing in our house, so why would this be any different. Truth is, no matter what type of headboard I put in there, he will see it as a toy, so oh well, have fun.

I have been drooling over the rustic simplicity in the Restoration Hardware Kids Catalog. I wanted to keep this headboard naturalish and add just a hint of fun.






I mod podged this delivery label  (also from Graphics Fairy) on one part. Then I painted it with a walnut tinted glaze and after it dried I went after it with my palm sander. Now, we are getting somewhere!


Next, I did three coats of Polyurethane and lightly sanded between each. Man, am I impatient waiting for things to dry. It makes me nuts! But I knew I needed to do a good job with the sanding and polyurethaning, because I wanted it smooth, and to cause no future injuries (fingers crossed).



Now, my husbands favorite part...he gets to help me mount it onto the wall. And after his ladder comment, I wanted it on there GOOOOD! Find the studs, hope the old wood doesn't splinter, and victory!



I was never so excited to make a bed!



I made this pillow with a drop cloth, Heat Bond (I DON'T sew), image from Graphics Fairy, and an old sweater.



The comforter is a cheapie from Target, but looks nicer than I expected in the room.




This boy is all about snuggling with blankets and pillows, so his bed has to be all about the layers and getting cozy, so he needs more pillows and blankets!



Hey, what do you think of the paint color?
 I LOVE it. As I was painting, I was worried, it seemed so light. But it dried a bit darker and as I am loading the room with furniture I am pleasantly surprised that I finally made a good choice!


And, for better photos, I did not install the guard rails, but don't worry, they were on there when he went to bed that night...even though he only uses them as a catapult to launch off the side of the bed!


AND


I just created an old timey looking telegram announcing my son's birth from Telegram Stop (Did anyone else catch their plug in Family Circle this month?)

For $5.85 you can write your own telegram and send it to anyone in the world. It even comes in an old fashioned envelope. It looks SO authentic!



Gonna frame this baby as soon as it arrives!!

P.S. If you are starting to wonder how long I can drag out this bedroom remodel, do not worry...I am almost done!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home