This Page

has been moved to new address

Earth Day Thursday - Reuse that 8-Track Tape

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Too Much time on my hands: Earth Day Thursday - Reuse that 8-Track Tape

This Page

has been moved to new address

Earth Day Thursday - Reuse that 8-Track Tape

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Too Much time on my hands: Earth Day Thursday - Reuse that 8-Track Tape

Thursday, December 1

Earth Day Thursday - Reuse that 8-Track Tape

Raise your hand if you know what this is.




I was born in 1973 and we definitely had an 8-Track player in our living room. When I was about 6, I gave my dad a slow death with this.


I kid you not, Barry Manilow was my first crush and I still remember all the words to just about every song. That jumpsuit slays me.

So, when I found eight 8-Track tapes at my favorite thrift store a few weeks ago, for 89 cents each, I grabbed them all. I had no idea what was going to become of them, but I just knew I HAD to possess them.

This is what I came up with.



How fun! It is a charging station for an I-Phone and I-Pod.



The case popped apart easily and the kids had fun playing with miles and miles of tape I extracted from inside each tape. I used a screwdriver and pencil and just pried that sucker apart. 
 However, I had a devil of a time cutting through that plastic casing. 
 Getting the opening just perfect took 4-EVAH.
I used an X-Acto knife, going over and over and over it.




I wound the cord inside where that tape was wound and popped the end out of the side where the tape would have been exposed-I wasn't going to try to make another hole through that bomb proof plastic. This way the cord pulls out easily to adjust the cord length quickly.


I Mod-Podged the edges of the paper label around the hole I cut. I popped the other end of the cord out and used heavy duty epoxy to be sure it wasn't moving...anywhere.

I made 2 and am currently in the process of another creation with another tape. 3 down and 5 left...any ideas of what I should make with them?

Here are some of my favorite 70's inspirations to get the juices flowin.






I  made some mean mini cakes in one of these









Now that everyone is sufficiently retroed up for the day-have a good one

P.S. I think all this 1970's inspiration fueled my current blog design:)


Photobucket

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At December 1, 2011 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVED the same 70s things! The only addition I have is Donny Osmond....he was ssssooooo cute! :)

 
At December 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still use my macrame plant hangers. The other pix are all a blast from the past!! JAN! Where's Marcia Marcia Marcia??? I was born in '67, so I know all the lyrics to Manilow's songs, and a few more, too! Sometimes I think all those song lyrics stuck in my head really clutter my thought process!! :)

 
At December 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Sass - aka - Kathy said...

OMG - Tony Orlando and Dawn. We watched their variety show religiously! Knock three times on the ceiling if you want meeeee! And I listened to endless Puppy Love with Donny Osmond. Total crush, and he aged well,too. Love those charging stations. So creative!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Sass - aka - Kathy said...

OMG - Tony Orlando and Dawn. We watched their variety show religiously! Knock three times on the ceiling if you want meeeee! And I listened to endless Puppy Love with Donny Osmond. Total crush, and he aged well,too. Love those charging stations. So creative!

 
At December 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!
And OMG the memories that just came flooding back.....ha

 
At December 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Sarah Ogden said...

Great Idea! I was born in 1970 so I remember ALL those pictures. And I just showed my HS English Students Conjunction Junction yesterday in class..and then Interjections. Loved Loved Loved School House Rock.

In HS I had a car that still had an 8 track player - one summer Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits got "stuck"..Woman hear me roar still brings a smile to my face.
Thanks for the great post..made my day.

 
At December 1, 2011 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I was born in '82 but my dad had an 8 track and record player, in a cabinet he custom built for them both. School House Rock rocks.

Love what you did with the 8-track. Funny how big it looks compared to the ipod.

 
At December 2, 2011 at 12:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is greatness!

 
At December 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far out brussel sprout! What an awesome idea! I remember I made my parents' ears bleed with playing Boney M over and over again on our Betamax video player. They fell to their knees and thanked the Lord when that tape finally broke from over playing. I cried. But then came Village People and all was well with the world! Well, my world anyway :)
Thanks for linking up to my Saturday Splendour Party!

 
At December 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Feral Turtle said...

What an awesome, original idea. So smart! Cheers.

 
At December 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Chrissy @ Adventures in DIY said...

Awesome idea! And by the way, I had that Marie doll when I was little. lol

 
At December 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM , Blogger A Mother and A Daughter said...

Love this post! I am so going to follow you! LOL! ~ Barbara

 
At December 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM , Blogger marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

what a great idea I think my nieces would go crazy if they could play with the tape what a fun mom! I'd love it if you'd add this to my link party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-party-what-we-wore-and-made_29.html

 
At December 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM , Blogger The Charm of Home said...

Oh, yes great inspiration here! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

 
At December 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Kim@todayismysome-day said...

Dear Lord! That GIANT TV! I was born in 71, and I never saw one that big!

Anyway, your 8 track charging station is fabulous! How super creetive! Maybe even "rad dude"!

Kim
www.todayismysome-day.blogspot.com

 
At December 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a completely groovy way to use that 8-track! I should ask my parents if they still have theirs (I'm a year older than you!).

 
At June 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've made some good points there. I looked on the net for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views
on this site.

my site: Beats By Dre Outlet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home