This Page

has been moved to new address

Earth Day Thursday- Grow Box Update

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Too Much time on my hands: Earth Day Thursday- Grow Box Update

This Page

has been moved to new address

Earth Day Thursday- Grow Box Update

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Too Much time on my hands: Earth Day Thursday- Grow Box Update

Thursday, July 28

Earth Day Thursday- Grow Box Update

  Well, I think we can call my grow boxes a success.

These crazy tomato trees are taller than me!

Like a big success, the tomato jungle is over 5 ft tall and growing every day.

Like our faux grass? More about that another day.


The only problem with these boxes is that my tomatoes grew at lightening speed and the plants in the back were dwarfed in minutes and many are gone. So for next year I will plant the back first and let those cukes, snap peas, and beans start climbing the trellis prior to planting the tomatoes.

I have to fill the tubs every few days and it is SO nice not being out there 2 times each day watering.



My friend taught me how to spot and clip back some of the non tomato producing stems. Hard to believe this is what's left after extreme haircuts all the way around. 

These biggies are all my grape tomatoes , poor planning on my part. The regular tomatoes were placed in pots and are now 1/4 of the size of their grow box buddies.  These two plants were purchased at the same time, were replanted in the same soil, and were the same size. They have been sitting next to each other for 2 months now and the difference is incredible. 



Now, my new concern is that there have been about 300 green tomatoes on those plants for a WHILE and I am afraid they will never turn red.



Some web sites have told me extreme heat can prevent ripening and we have had over 95 degrees every day for a while now. So, fingers crossed that's the problem and we will still get tons of juicy tomatoes.



Well, if I can stop my 2 year old from picking the green ones, he just can't control himself. If any master gardeners out there have suggestions for me please leave me a comment!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home